The U.S. gave Huawei a 90-day reprieve following the trade ban against the manufacturer in May. The trade ban, which allows U.S. companies to maintain business ties with Huawei, expires today (August 19).
Reutersreported on Friday that the U.S. Commerce Department was set to issue another 90-day grace period, citing two sources. The extension would allow Huawei to keep maintaining its current telecommunications networks and updating its Android phones.
Now, the newswire reports that President Donald Trump doesn’t want U.S. firms to deal with the company.
“At this moment it looks much more like we’re not going to do business,” Trump told reporters on Sunday before boarding Air Force One, insisting that the firm was a national security threat.
Huawei and the Trump debacle: The story so far (Updated: August 13)
The headlines and details concerning the Trump administration’s blacklisting of Huawei have come in fast and furious over the past week. Here’s a breakdown of how the story has unfolded. For a more detailed historical look …
Trump said parts of Huawei’s business could be excluded from a more comprehensive ban, but added that it would be “very complicated.” The president didn’t clarify whether another 90-day extension would be granted to the company.
Trump’s comments come a few months after he partially lifted the ban against the Chinese company. The president declared that U.S. firms could sell equipment to Huawei as long as said equipment didn’t have national security ramifications.
We’ve contacted Huawei to ask how a lapsed extension would affect company operations, new devices, and updates for current devices. The firm hasn’t responded yet, but we’ll update the article should they get back to us.